Voting

Friday, March 26, 2010

Holmes Co.

While many of our friends were spending their Spring Break on the beach in Florida, or Disney World, or a cruise, or Myrtle Beach...we spent 2 days in Holmes County, Ohio visiting Amish Country with my parents. We stayed in Berlin and spent a lot of time visiting the shops in town, eating lots of good food, and relaxing at the hotel.

Jenna had spotted a sign for buggy rides right away, so we checked it out. A nice Amish man named John took Jacob, Jenna and I for a ride. He talked non-stop during our 15 minute ride and shared a little about his lifestyle and his history. I've read lots of books about Amish, so it was fun to actually talk to someone and learn a little more. He allowed us to take photos, but he tried to stay out of them. He's been doing buggy rides for 10 years, so I'm sure he's used to the photos by now. Jenna and Grandpa walking through Berlin...

I am really fascinated by the whole Amish culture and lifestyle. I've read quite a few fiction books based on Amish culture and loved getting to see some of it in person. I really could have spent more time just driving around the area and snapping photos. Chris and my dad were both patient and stopped the car a few times to let me lean out the window or run across the street for a few photos.













My favorite photo....I saw this house as we were driving to a bakery we had heard about and told Chris he had to stop on the way back. I loved the rainbow of laundry on the giant pulley clothesline!

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Awesome pics!!! Glad you enjoyed a well deserved break with your family! Didn't get to tell you the other day, but we sure did enjoy spending time with you and Jenna at competition! Love the Covey girls!!! :0)

Jodi said...

SNAPS! Did he have snaps on his shirt? My goodness, isn't he new world ;) Just kidding. I grew up with amish neighbors and my kids have even had amish babysitters when Gramma and I need to go see girls movie, lol, so we don't quite have the thrill. But I LOVE your pictures... especially the clothes 'line' and wheel of the buggy. Hope you're all rested up and ready for Monday. :)

aunt nancy said...

At least it wasn't snowing! I noticed all the blankets in the buggy. Did you buy anything fun?
We had Amish frame our Mansfield house(gas-powered tools). You didn't see Harrison Ford, did you?

Jill said...

Cute photos. Amy did you watch the movie "Amish Grace" on Lifetime this past weekend? And Nancy, I think Harrison has been out of hiding for quite a while now...

Brenda said...

So cool...the laundry reminds me of Cheryl's banners she made!