Friday, September 28, 2007
Below are a few photos from her homecoming.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY BECCA.....and WELCOME HOME!!
We love you!!
Sunday, September 23, 2007
Saturday, September 22, 2007
- The kids' activities have all started back up and are in full swing - soccer, piano, and Mustard Seeds (Children's church group) for Jacob and dance for Jenna. Jacob decided to not participate in boy's choir this year - he just felt like he was involved in too many things along with increased homework in 4th grade. It was hard for him to choose which activity to give up.
- We spent last Saturday at BGSU with 2 sets of neighbors. The son of one of neighbors, Craig, runs cross country for OU, so we went up to BG to watch his meet. The weather was perfect....and he ended up finishing in 1st place. YAHOO! In fact, the first place finisher for the girls also is a VW graduate. That was kind of neat. After the race we went to eat at Pollyeyes (no Myle's for me this trip...I was bummed) and then a trip to SBX so I could buy some new BGSU gear. I got a fun new hooded sweatshirt - dark grey w/hot pink letters - a little different from the usual brown/orange - Jacob got a cool brown/orange long sleeve tshirt, and Jenna got a hooded sweatshirt (pink, of course). Then we went shopping in Perrysburg. The guys (minus Jacob) all went golfing. Photos from our BG trip will be coming soon!
- Last Sunday, Jenna and I made a trip to Urbana for my cousin Lori's baby shower. We had a great time visiting with everyone and "oohing" and "ahhing" over all her cute gifts. Jenna broke out in hives during the shower....but Uncle Tom came to the rescue with Benadryl. She also broke out in hives on Friday at school. Not sure what's going on with that. Photos from the shower coming VERY soon (I promise Lori!).
- Monday I stayed home from school. I woke up feeling really dizzy. This is the 3rd time in 3 months this has happened. The dizziness wouldn't stop and was really frustrating, so I went to the dr. that afternoon...and made Chris drive me. After throwing out terms like "verticular dysfunction" and "labyrynthitis" and "nsytagmus", it turns out that I'm not making this up. I basically have fluid in my inner ears, which causes the extreme dizziness. There isn't much they can do for it, except to treat the underlying causes (allergies and sinus). So I have allergy pills, sinus spray, and anti-dizziness medication to take. Hopefully that clears this up because I hate feeling like that.
- Big news of the week: Becca is coming home next Friday (her birthday). We're all so excited!! Please continue to keep her in your prayers. I think the adjustment at home is going to be difficult for her as she tries to learn how to adapt at home.
I have lots of photos to share this week - our trip to BGSU, Lori's shower, photos from a fun photo "shoot" with Jenna. I need to get on the ball and get those editted and posted!!
Tuesday, September 11, 2007
While we were at breakfast the boys ventured to Mary's diner and had their own breakfast and then headed to some stores on Michigan Avenue. We went back to the hotel to get our stuff together and take a quick nap (I was starting to not feel well....which I later found out was strep throat). After we checked out, we walked down Michigan Avenue to the Lego store. We decided to get tickets for a double decker bus tour of the city. The kids loved it - esepcially Jacob. He can tell you all about the great Chicago fire and the Hancock building. There were 13 stops on our tour and with only 3 stops left to go, our bus broke down (the axle broke). We all had to climb off and wait for other buses to come pick us up! We eventually finished up our tour and then headed to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner. After dinner we walked along Michigan Avenue and bought Garrett's popcorn for a train treat (YUMMY stuff!). Then it was time to head back to the hotel, pick up our luggage, and take a cab back to Union Station to catch our train. Our train left on time (10pm central time) and we finally got home to Van Wert at 3:45 am!!
Buckingham Fountain (taken from the bus)
Our broken down bus
Waiting oh-so-patiently for another bus to come pick us up. Luckily it broke down near a big grassy area, so we had somewhere to wait!
Skyline along the Chicago River
Monday, September 10, 2007
We left for Chicago last Sunday morning...bright and early!! We had decided to take the Amtrak train from Bryan to Chicago...which means we had to leave home at 5:45am! YIKES! We arrived at the TINY train station (if you can call it that) in Bryan (I really should have taken a picture of it) and began to wait. After waiting, we called Amtrak and discovered that our train was running an hour and a half late!! It finally came around 8:30am, we hopped on, and off we went! The beginning of the trip was very stop and go while we waited for other trains to pass on the tracks or stopped at other stops, but eventually we got going. We arrived at Union Station in Chicago around noon and then took a cab to our hotel.
We stayed at the Wyndham Hotel, which was a block from Michigan Avenue - right in the heart of the city. We checked in and then took a bus to the Shedd Aquarium. We spent all afternoon there looking at fish and other water creatures. We even got to watch a dolphin show. After leaving the aquarium, we took a water taxi to Navy Pier. Later we walked back to our hotel and went in search of dinner. Every place was packed...so we ended up getting take out from Gino's East (Yummy deep dish Chicago pizza) and ate in our hotel room. By 10:00 we were all in bed trying to recover from our early morning start!!
The view while waiting for our train at 7:00am (down the tracks to the East)
The view down the tracks to the West ....I literally just turned around and snapped the photos above and below. Quite a difference, huh??
Getting ready to go into the aquarium (we had to wait in a long line to get in!). They had a special exhibit of lizards and komodo dragons, so they had this huge inflatable Komodo dragon that you walked through to enter the museum. Unfortunately, we ran out of time and didn't get to see the exhibit (I'm still not sure why lizards and Komodo dragons were at the aquarium though!). Jacob was really bummed we didn't get to see them.
Jacob at the aquarium - he was fascinated by all the fish and creatures!
The view of the skyline outside the aquarium
Self portrait of Jenna and I taken on the water taxi - I love the sun!
LOVE this photo - pretty impressive considering I only used my point and shoot digital camera. I left my "good" camera at home this time!
Saturday, September 08, 2007
Jenna and Gage on the dragon mini-coaster (They're in the second seat with their hands in their air!)
Jacob and Cade on the Musik Express- I lost track of how many times they rode this!
Jenna and Gage on the mini-ferris wheel