Voting

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Summer Fun!

I love summer vacation! Honestly, I can't imagine having any other job in the world because if I did, it would mean giving up my summer vacation. I love the fact that Chris and I are both teachers so we can both be home with our kids during the summer (well...at least on most days). This summer our schedule has been a little different with Becca in the hospital, but we've still managed to squeeze in sometime to enjoy ourselves. So, in celebration of summer, here is my top ten things I love about summer list.

1. Ice cream - especially at Rocky Top or the Creamery - my favorite is Moose Tracks, but lately I've become addicted to cherry and vanilla swirl soft serve at Rocky Top - YUMMY!

2. Cream slushes at Sonic or Rocky Top - I recommend an orange cream slush at Sonic or a red pop cream slush at Rocky Top

3. Swimming!! We are so fortunate to have a very generous neighbor who shares his pool with us. It's so nice to walk next door and use the pool for a few hours....especially since Van Wert doesn't have a community pool.

4. Staying up late and sleeping in - I love staying up late watching mindless TV, reading, scrapbooking, or playing on the computer...and then sleeping in the next morning. During the school year I am in bed early and up early...so it's nice to change my schedule a little.

5. Lots of photo opportunities!!! (see below)

6. Fun summer music - There's nothing better than driving around with the windows down and fun summer music playing on the radio. OH....and I'm on the hunt for some more fun summer tunes to add to our i Tunes collection. Suggestions please (c'mon Lori...I know you'll have some!!)!!

7. Our newly remodeled patio! We have a great patio area that Chris has been working to improve...he took down the lattice, making it an open patio. We added a porch swing. He took down the yucky plastic roof (which gave it a feel similar to a greenhouse - LOTS of fun on hot summer days) and replaced it with a shingled roof. The last step is to install a ceiling fan. My job is to make maragaritas for Chris to enjoy on his "new" patio once the work is finished. :)

8. Grilling!! I love food on the grill - burgers, brats, chicken, steak. We also discovered a really easy and yummy recipe for chicken fajitas on the grill, which has become one of our new favorites!!

9. FLIP FLOPS! I know they are probably a fashion "don't"...especially for a 37 (YIKES) year old....but I still love them and wear them daily!

10. Family vacations!! Only 10 days until we leave for Florida...and only 12 days until we are at DISNEYWORLD!!!!! I think I am as excited as Jacob and Jenna!!


No blog entry would be complete without a few photos from me. These were taken last week on a day when we weren't allowed to use the neighbor's pool. It was really hot, so we had to get creative....swinging while the sprinkler was going. We also filled a tub with water so Jacob and Jenna could fill squirt guns...but Jenna decided it was the perfect mini-pool.






6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Am I really the first one to read this blogg entry? Summer is definitely my favorite season, too!
note:There is no age limit to wearing and enjoying flip flops:)

Anonymous said...

Amy- have fun at Disney!!!!!! We just went in April and had so much fun. Jackson still tells me almost everyday (he did today) that he wants to go back and ride the buzz lightyear ride. We rode it 8 times. When you ride it (because it is a lot of fun) think of Jackson! Vickie

Jill said...

I saw on the Today show that flip flops are meant only for the beach - they will ruin your back and hips if you wear them otherwise. Guess we'll all be hobbling around together then in a few years, because I'd wear them every day if I could. However, you should see the pair of shoes I almost got yesterday but changed my mind - about 3 inch high slip on sandals in leopard print! They were awesome... but the complete opposite of flip flops!

Anonymous said...

Why my kids are (or were, or going to be) teachers: My sitting on the beach saying, "I get paid for doing this"! Non- teachers: not really, but it makes us feel better to believe that.
I love flip flops, too, but I have noticed that wearing them for shopping or much walking makes my back and/or knees hurt. Walmart has some with a nice arch, though, BUT they are very slippery, so of course if I fell, my back would probably hurt anyhow.
Disney - Jessica HATED the Pirates ride, and she hated the 1st Pirates movie, as well. However, she's still fascinated by pirates. Then ther's Sudsy and the tea cups on our honeymoon.

Anonymous said...

Everytime I see or hear about the teacups I think of Sudsy. And Vickie is right--Buzz is awesome. And Amy has the best of both worlds--being a teacher and being married to one so you have the same summer and vacations off. Love it!! MOM

Brenda said...

Of course you could be an idiot and teach summer school like me and have to get up at 6 and leave home at 6:30. but it's good money and pays for flights to ohio and a jamaica trip!
flip flops make my legs look stumpy...i prefer chunky heeled sandals.
i had the best ice cream ever at maggie moo's yesterday...cinammo bun ice cream mixed with caramel, teddy grahams and something else in a waffle cone....tasted like a cold cinnamon bun!