Monday, June 23, 2008
Sunday, June 22, 2008
Every year the 4th graders do a project called "Living Museum". The students pick a famous person to research and then write a report about that persons life. Then they dress up and give a speech pretending to be that person. Jacob thought a long time about who he would choose, and in the end chose John Wayne. For weeks he shared John Wayne trivia with us as he read books and then wrote his report. He invited Grandpa Davis (the original John Wayne fan...and a big reason why Jacob chose John Wayne as his subject) to come to the Living Museum. Grandpa even shared some of his John Wayne memorabilia with Jacob for his display.
Friday, June 20, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
This man was roller blading in Central Park. He had taken the time to set up lots and lots of teeny tiny cones and then was doing fancy footwork on his roller blades in between the cones.
This man was also in Central Park, right by the fountain. He was playing Beatles tunes on his guitar. Really that is not so odd....but if you look closely you will see that he is wearing a cape. Strange!
This man was in front of our hotel as we were leaving to catch a cab to the airport. He was watching the Puerto Rican Day parade. Have you ever seen a cigar that big???
Another "performer" in Times Square. He/She was the most frightening imitation of the Statue of Liberty I have ever seen.
I have no idea what this person represents. He was sitting outside the NY Public Library. I didn't stop long enough to read his sign.
I don't have a photo of the person who belongs to this cart. I'm sure she was very stylish though since she apparently shops at H&M.
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
Unfortunately, our trip home didn't go so smoothly. We boarded the plane a little late and then taxied to the runway....where we proceeded to sit and sit and sit! Apparently there were bad storms in Detroit, so we couldn't take off. Eventually we wasted enough fuel just sitting that we had to go back to the gate to refuel...and then we were told we were going to have to get off the plane because everything at Detroit was grounded....and then a storm hit JFK so we had to sit some more...and then we were told we could fly to Detroit....and then some passengers wanted off the plane....and then we had to wait while they got off....and then we had to wait while the pilot got new paperwork....and then we pushed back from the gate again....and then we finally headed back to the runway and sat in line...and then we finally took off. All that consisted of sitting on a hot, crowded plane for FIVE HOURS!! It was not a pleasant experience, especially since we had no food or drink. We finally took off at 9:15pm (instead of 4:10 like originally planned) and were told we were going to have to fly from JFK to Boston to Toronto to Detroit, making our flight 2.5 hours instead of 1 hour 15 minutes. Once we were up in the air, the pilot was told he could take a shorter route...but then we had too much fuel to land (they had extra fuel for the long flight) so we had to fly at low altitude to burn off fuel. We FINALLY got to Detroit around 11:30 pm and home to Van Wert at 2:30am.
Chris wrote a letter to Delta explaning our situation and they sent an email with "compensation" for our troubles - a $25 voucher per person. Ummm, thanks?!?!
OKay...on to day 3 photos. I am too lazy to do a collage today, so you'll just have to scroll through all the photos. Be sure to check back tomorrow. I have some bonus NYC photos of some of the interesting people we saw on our trip!
The Statue from the ground...
Family photo at the top of the pedestal...Chris didn't like being at the edge, so he stayed back against the wall. Look at the cracks on the wall- you can see the green from the statue that has washed off. Very cool!
View of Ellis Island from the top....
Family photo in front of the statue....very touristy! Back on the ferry....
Sunday, June 15, 2008
This photo deserved to be posted by itself instead of teeny tiny in the middle of a collage. :)
Friday, June 13, 2008
L to R (top to bottom): NYC street. . . Bryant Park . . . NY Library . . . view of the Chrysler Building (in the hazy morning sky) . . . Grand Central Station. . . sight seeing (and looking UP at all the tall buildings) . . . the Empire State Building . . . ready for their first subway ride from Grand Central to Yankee Stadium. . . in front of the library . . . 5th Avenue . . . too cool . . . the "mini bar" basket in our room - look closely at the candy bar in the front for evidence of our "visitor"L to R (top to bottom): fountain in Bryant Park (Library in background) . . . cheesecake at Roxy's Deli . . . in front of the library . . . Chris and I in Bryant Park . . . subway . . . Toffee Heath cheesecake at Roxy's - YUMMY!
Thursday, June 12, 2008
L to R: The Mall in Central Park (LOVED this!) . . . Bethesda Fountain . . . Derek Jeter - larger than life in Times Square . . . with Kari in Central Park
With his birthday gift from us...an iPod shuffle.
Two of his "loves" at eleven.....his new iPod and legos (Thanks Marc, Jill, Luke, and Mia!)Birthday waffle bowl sundaes - YUMMY!The boys....Nick, Cade, Jon, and Jacob
PS NYC photos are coming...I promise! I am still working through them. I filled two cards with photos!
Monday, June 09, 2008
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Sunday, June 01, 2008
2. Even more importantly, only FIVE days until our trip to NYC. We have our plane tickets, Yankees game tickets, and tickets to go see the Statue of Liberty. We're working on our itinerary for the rest of our sightseeing.
3. I made a return trip to the dr. due to fatigue and achy joints/muscles. I had blood work done and it turns out that one of my levels was high, which indicates a strep infection. I haven't had any strep throat symptoms, but the dr. said that the strep infection has settled in my joints. Interesting. I'm not taking an anti-biotic for the infection. He also referred me to a rheumatologist and I have an appointment set up for mid-June to look into some possible causes of the achiness, headaches, and fatigue.
4. On top of all that, Chris passed his sinus infection/cold to me this weekend. I'm ready for it to go away!!! Hopefully it will be gone before we fly on Friday.
5. We are spending LOTS of time on our patio lately. We did a lot of work on it last summer and still have some things to do - re-do the landscaping, finish the roof, and eventually purchase an outdoor firepit. Chris' mom just brought over a fountain that she is no longer using, so we'll be adding that too!
6. Spending lots of time on our patio means lots of grilling. I'm in the process of searching on line for good grilling recipes. If you have any to share, please pass them along!! We love to grill in the summer.
7. Jacob's 11th birthday is on Wednesday. When did he get so old?? We went shopping on Friday to get his gift- an iPod shuffle. He'll be so excited!! I miss buying him toys though!
I sill have more photos to share - Jenna's kindergarten program, Jacob's Living Museum portrayal of John Wayne, and some other random photos. I'll try to get those posted early this week before NYC.