Friday, February 29, 2008

Crazy, crazy week

  • We had yet another snow day on we are officially going to school into June now.
  • On our snow day, I had to be at the ENT in Ft Wayne at 8:15, so we had to leave home at 7:00 to get to my appointment on time since the roads were still pretty slick. The kids got to spend the day at Becca's with Grandma, Grandpa, Becca and Ryan.
  • My ENT appointment was intense. I went through over 3 hours of balance testing. YUCK! I won't go into all the details, but they make you feel dizzy and then immediately make you do another test that makes you feel dizzy...and so on...and so on. The worst two were the rotary chair and the test where they put warm and then cold water into my ears it sounds calm, but it's not!). I was spinning like I've never spun before. Fun stuff! The good news is that they did not detect anything serious. Phew! After my balance testing I had a hearing test - much, much easier!
  • After my balance testing, we met with the balance center director and later the ENT doctor who specializes in dizziness. They basically diagnosed me with migraine associated vertigo (migraine headaches causing my dizziness). My instructions were to change my diet (low sodium, no caffeine, etc), stop taking pain relievers like tylenol, advil, etc, chart my headaches/dizziness, and start taking migraine medication. In addition they saw some concern with my sinuses and put my on 2 nasal sprays and an anti-biotic and then scheduled a cat scan of my sinuses and allergy testing in 3 weeks.
  • After 2 days on the migraine meds I started feeling really, really weird. At school yesterday I felt like my head was floating, did not feel "with it" at all, could not concentrate, could not answer questions, etc. By the time I got home from school my face was tingling and later was numb.
  • I went to see my regular doctor last night to talk about everything I learned at the ENT plus the weird things I was experiencing. To make a long story short, he said he does not agree with the migraine diagnosis and that everything I was feeling was a side effect of the migraine meds. He basically had me stop everything the ENT had set up. My new official diagnosis (and one I feel much, much better about) is occipital neuralgia, which is basically an inflammation of the occipital nerve/area which causes intense headaches to that area (which is exactly where my headaches are) and can then in turn cause dizziness.
  • I am starting physical therapy for the occipital neuralgia next week. It will consist of massage, ultrasound, etc to that area of my head. Sounds good to me!!
  • Wednesday night the VW basketball team played in the district semi-final tournament game in BG against Toledo Libbey. Jenna and I chose not to make the trip for several reasons. They ended up losing, but had a good season!
  • As a ball boy, Jacob is always out on the floor shooting while they are waiting for the team to come out and warm up. He was so excited to be on a college basketball court (even though BGs court isn't the greatest) and couldn't wait to tell me that he made the first basket he shot.
  • Wed. night, while Chris and Jacob were at the bb tournament game, the power went out in our neighborhood. Nothing like being home in the pitch dark with a 6 year old...especially when you aren't too fond of the dark yourself. By morning the power still wasn't on and we were freezing!!!! No power=no heat! I had to take a quick shower and finish getting ready at school - fun! Our power didn't end up coming back on until 1:45 pm.
  • Another 2 hour delay this morning for slick roads...our 15th delay this year. Crazy, crazy Ohio weather!
  • Today Jacob woke up sick. I'm not surprised. There have been so many kids absent from school and he's had some late nights for basketball games. Hopefully it's short lived and no one else catches whatever he has.
  • We are supposed to go to Stow tonite to visit Mom/Dad. Mom and I have plans to go to "Mega Stamp Camp" tomorrow morning. Now we have to wait and see how Jacob is feeling.
  • I actually took some photos this week, but haven't had time to upload them to the computer. Hopefully I'll have some time check back.
  • Are you still reading this far??? Have a good weekend!


aunt nancy said...

Yes, I kept reading. I'm glad to hear you have a diagnosis and can start being proactive. Ultrasound and massage? Sounds like my kind of therapy. I hope it works. I hope Jacob's feeling better so you can get to Stow. Enjoy the weekend.

Brenda said...

interesting...interesting week. mine was really good...but uneventful.

Anonymous said...

Me, too - I read it all :) I'll be praying that your doctor's diagnosis is "on" and that the therapy will show positive results soon. Keep us informed. Hope Jacob feels better soon. Aunt Barb

Jill said...

hwssi totjhjj

(that is what luke thinks of it all)

Anonymous said...

I am just ready to see photos from the Mega Stamp Camp Event! Wish I could have been there!

Lisa said...

I am glad you're getting some answers for what you're going through!