Voting

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Basketball....

It's basketball season again for Jacob. He is playing Upward basketball this year (he's played at the Y the past several years) and so far he really likes it. He has had two games and scored in both games. They don't technically keep score (which drives Jacob nuts), so we keep score ourselves. His team won the first game and lost the second game. Basketball photos are one of the biggest headaches for me. The lighting is always terrible, the players are in constant motion, the referees are always in the way....I just haven't been able to get good basketball photos. This year I did some research on what lens and settings to use, and my photos turned out a little better. I still need more practice though. Here are just a few from last Saturday's game.



He got fouled and got to shoot 2 foul shots...




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice form. Did he make the shots? And cheerleaders, too! That's weird that he plays for Upward, because just this very afternoon, as I was coming home form work, I saw clingy stickers on the truck in front of me. One said Upward cheerleader, and the other was Upward basketball. I wondered what that was and was going to google it. Instead I'll google you to ask what is Upward?

Anonymous said...

Good pictures. I love watching him play--he is so intent. MOM

Jill said...

The photos are much better. Try capturing the moment on just my digital one! Never a good shot... Wonder if I'll be any good at soccer photos???

Amy Covey said...

I took this description from the Upward website: Upward is an evangelistic sports ministry specifically designed for K5 through sixth grade boys and girls that promotes salvation, character, and self-esteem in every child.

Upward is always sponsored through a local church. Basically it is regular basketball with some church mixed in - prayer before the game, a devotion/testimony at half time, memory verses to learn each week, etc. Jacob can earn "stars" for learning memory verses each week, offensive or defensive stand out plays, and a Christ-like attitude. The playing time is equal for every kid on the team. There are a few things that are different - like not keeping score - but overall it has been a good experience for Jacob (and his self-esteem) so far.

Brenda said...

Love the little cheerleaders,...too cute!
Upward is through the churches, isn't it? Our daycare church has it.
Those are some high dollar shoes!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Amy, and now that you explained, I've been to one of those in Mansfield.